Episode 002: Why Campaigns Go Negative: An Intro to Game Theory
In this podcast we discuss:
- What a ‘Game’ is, mathematically
- Some areas where games apply to real life (most of them!)
- How game theory is applied in biology
- The Prisoners Dilemma game, and
- Why all political campaigns go negative
I’ve got two things to apologize for. First, that it’s taken so long to get this second episode on the web. After we posted the last one, we were heading right into the last weeks of the term, and lord knows how that goes.
The second thing is that this episode had some technical difficulties. There is some clipping here and there, and some chucks had to be removed (sorry if that breaks the flow).
At the end of the episode, I’ve appended a short discussion of the Nash Equilibrium in Game Theory. We’d actually had a section on that within the podcast, but it was too messed up to use. So, I cut that whole chunk out and we redid it, and added at the end.